Saturday, November 27, 2010

"In Winnipeg at Christmas" Poem by Rose Fyleman


In a winter city like Winnipeg, it is important to find ways to enjoy our winters.  There is no better time than Christmas to enjoy traditional images of Christmas.  Whether it's memories of the decorated Christmas window at Eatons, or Toyland, or buying and decorating a real tree, or anticipating the gifts as a child, nothing brings the nostalgia of Christmases past than Rose Fyleman's evocative poem:
"In Winnipeg at Christmas"...
In Winnipeg at Christmas there's lots and lots of snow,
Very clean, and crisp and hard
And glittering like a Christmas card
Everywhere you go;
Snow upon the housetops, snow along the street,
And Queen Victoria in her chair
Has snow upon her snowy hair
And snow upon her feet.
In Winnipeg at Christmas they line the streets with trees-
Christmas trees lit up at night
With little balls of coloured light
As pretty as you please.
The people hurry past you in furry boots and wraps;
The sleighs are like a picture book,
And all the policemen look
Like Teddy Bears in caps.
And oh! The smiling ladies and jolly girls and boys;
And oh! The parties and the fun
With lovely things for everyone-
Books and sweets and toys.
So, if someday at Christmas you don't know where to go,
Just pack your bags I beg,
And start at once for Winnipeg;
You'll like it there I know.

 - Rose Fyleman











6 comments:

banjo said...

There are many postings of this delightful poem on the internet with the same two errors.
1 - The word "big" is missing from
the line...all the big
policemen look....
2 - The word "bag" is incorrect in
the line ....just pack your
boxes up i beg....
Notice how beautifully the words
flow after these to mistakes are
corrected.
P.S. This can be verified by
contacting the Wpg Public Library.
They are wonderfully helpful.

ondine_debussy said...

It's remarkable that on the very day that I was looking for a melody to accompany this poem, this comment (from "banjo") appeared at this site. I appreciate your contribution, especially because the rhythm for singing these words to the tune of "Jolly Old Saint Nicholas" works very well with your improvements.

The unedited version left some missing beats which I had to fill myself with filler words (like "Just pack your bags I [humbly] beg"). With your corrections, the problem is solved, and in a more authentic way, as I understand you did some extra research at my own local library (The Winnipeg Public Library). Merry Christmas to All!

Unknown said...

The additions of "big" and "boxes" is correct. I presented this poem on Calling a Children" -- a talent show run by CBC's local branch in the late 50's. I was on in 1958. I still have my copy of the poem.

Unknown said...

The additions of "big" and "boxes" is correct. I presented this poem on Calling a Children" -- a talent show run by CBC's local branch in the late 50's. I was on in 1958. I still have my copy of the poem.

Unknown said...

Banjo and ondine_debussy, in 2010, and Brian Baigrie, in 2012, are correct, yet now it's 2016 and, disappointingly, the corrections have still not been made. A Wikipedia article on the poet, Rose Fyleman, refers (footnote #6) readers here for the poem, so its wording should be accurate. I taught this poem every year, and the children enjoyed reciting it because of its delightful rhythm. The errors introduced on this page spoil that, so please do fix them! The lines in question should read "And all the [big] policemen look" and "Just pack your [boxes up] I beg" (not just "boxes," but "boxes up"). The rhythm for each of these lines must be "da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH da-DAH."

Michael A. McKay said...

In addition to the corrections mentioned here, there are two more I would add. I found the poem as originally published in Punch (Jan 1, 1930, p. 8) and discovered the readings:
• “Has snow upon her stony head” and
• “You’d like it there, I know.”